Sunday, August 9, 2009

Sunday Levity


Well, after what can only be described as a depressing week of disaster at my place of business, I thought it would be nice to showcase my newest obsession: canning! I've started at the obvious beginning (pickles), as it's pretty easy to make and can them and, well, I've been getting a shitload of cucumbers in my CSA share this summer--I had to take some sort of action or I'd be overrun with rotting cukes.

Anyway, I figured I'd start with a personal favorite: bread and butter pickles. I threw in some red/green/and orange peppers, garlic and banana peppers for color, as well as some garlic cloves. I mixed turmeric, celery seeds, mustard seeds and a handful of whole cloves in with the cider vinegar, and they are tasty. This isn't normally something I'd brag about, but I just tasted my first handmade pickle and I have no choice but to offer myself props for my mad pickling skillz.

No comments:

Post a Comment