Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Latest Innovation in Products for Creeps Who Look at Porn in Public Libraries

Readers, I work in a public library so I'm used to dealing with issues of privacy when it comes to what our patrons want to look at. The American Library Association instructs us to protect the privacy and first amendment rights of our users at all costs--so we don't disclose the reading history of our members unless the FBI goes and gets a subpoena (and even then, librarians tend to cause angry scenes worthy of the evening news when this happens), nor do we try to censor what information or content our patrons have access to. Intellectual freedom is the core value of librarianship, and it gets my heart all filled with anti-authoritarian don't-tread-on-me pride to think about librarians busting through a Harry Potter picket line.

That's why I was really, um, excited to hear about a product developed by designer Joe Malia: the Techno Privacy Scarf! (pictured above) Now our especially wacked-out, pervy horn-dog, or otherwise generally creepy patrons can surf those illicit sites in public without worrying about disturbing others. I mean, check out the Unabomber up there on the far right--wouldn't mind being stuck in an elevator with that one, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment