
Oh boy, readers--it's time for another look into the collection of our favorite local library to see what far-out reading materials are available for the education of our youths! Ready, children?
I found the above item, The Gas We Pass: The Story of Farts by Shinto Cho, the other day. It's one of those kids' books that try to be informative, but really just come off as being unsettling and weird. I guess I can appreciate the effort, though--kids really do need to understand bodily processes and their reasons for being...but it freaked me out. The text went randomly back and forth between using actual medical terminology (e.g. "anus") and alarming, crude description ("that hole in your bottom"). I think that's probably what makes this book so...distressing: I'd rather just have the real, technical terms thrown at me than be given a creepy, Disney-rated version that makes it sounds like it is something Not-To-Be-Named. That kind of vague insinuation just sends the wrong message (the message being: "I don't want to hear about that hole in your bottom").
So, I don't know if I will ever be recommending this one, but really: what other childrens' non-fiction books about flatulence are really out there? I can't just hand a 5 year old Gray's Anatomy...(although that would be hilarious). I guess I'll have to keep this one in mind for just such an occasion.
(Oh, Also: the artwork is ATROCIOUS)
No comments:
Post a Comment