
Dear readers, as you may remember from earlier in the week, I have dedicated yet more of my idle time to a new playlist project: pain-stakingly re-creating a long-lost road trip mix tape from my adolescence. I'm calling it "the Cincinnati Tape" (yes, it will be burned on a CD), and it will be (hopefully) exactly like a mix tape my brother and I played obsessively during trips to Cincinnati to see the Reds in our youth. Whew! It's hard! You may or may not agree that resurrecting the ghosts of your youth is a chore to get just right (or is even a good idea in the first place), but it has been a regular struggle over here at HQ.
I was planning on letting the project progress organically, setting my end goal as late summer (just in time to roll it out for an unveiling at the conclusion of the baseball season--that's around the middle of September, as there is no chance the Reds will be in the postseason). But as usual, events have conspired to step up my deadline. My brother and I will be making the 5 hour car trip up to Wrigley Field in Chicago for a Cubs game this Thursday, and it will be the perfect opportunity to roll out my grand opus of spineless 70's feel-good rock. I'm not proud of listening to that type of music, but I am proud of my progress towards The Perfect Mix that I am slowly working towards.
And in celebration of that near-achievement, I want to post a few other thematic playlist ideas that I will be embarking on soon:
- Your Town, Saturday Night
- Complete Coverage (original versions along with an interesting cover version)
- Katie's Adolescence (another likely embarrassment)
- Trail Songs and Campfire Ballads
- Meet the Overlords (what?)
- Talkin' Union
- Drug Songs! (self-explanatory; need to think of clever title)
- Giant Robot Love Opera (again, self-explanatory, I'd say)
I'll post complete playlists as I figure 'em out and refine. It will probably occupy me for quite some time.
No comments:
Post a Comment