Monday, September 14, 2009


It's time again to revisit the land of mix tapes--or "thematic playlists" as we have to more accurately call them now (thanks to the "awesome" new technologies that have taken away my beloved magnetic tape and made it impossible to purchase a tape deck in any legitimate electronics store--seriously, next time you're in a Best Buy ask one of the blue shirts if they have a stereo with a double tape deck, then watch as the look of bewilderment spreads across their youthful face, thus signifying that they have ceased to take you seriously as a customer and now see you as a possible escaped mental patient who could not possibly REALLY want something like that, I mean, "ma'am, haven't you heard of MP3's??")

Anyway: I do have to admit I like making the playlists on my computer, and my latest one is devoted to songs that I can listen to while running. Running (for exercise, but I'm also keeping it in mind for things like: bear attacks, the zombie apocalypse, lava, etc.) is a recent addition to activities here at Mercy Missiles as we have allowed ourselves to be talked into running a 5k race on October 3rd. That leaves just 3 more weeks to get it together, and I cannot hope to do that without a little musical accompaniment. So! There's a few elements that have to be involved in a list like this: songs have to be uptempo, loud, and include appropriate lyrics about such subjects as kickin' ass, tryin' real hard, bein' awesome, space travel, speeding, and other generally reckless behavior. Here's the list:

  1. We Are All Made of Stars: Moby
  2. Cannonball: The Breeders
  3. The Final Countdown: Europe
  4. Wheel in the Sky: Foreigner
  5. Eye of the Tiger: Survivor
  6. Jump: Van Halen
  7. Rocky: Carol Connors/BillConti/Ayn Robbins
  8. Ch-Check It Out: Beastie Boys
  9. Hey Ya!: Outcast
  10. Army of Me: Bjork
  11. Extreme Ways: Moby
  12. Speeding: The Go-Go's
  13. Highway Runner: Donna Summer
  14. Queen Bitch: David Bowie
  15. Shining Star: Earth Wind & Fire

No comments:

Post a Comment