
That's right, readers, last week in DC I made sure to visit the nation's oldest federal cultural institution, established by John Adams in 1800: the Library of Congress! It was my first time inside the largest library in the world, and I was not disappointed: housing more than 130 million items, it is ensconced in marble, gold leaf, intricate mosaics, murals, mahogany paneled rooms and sculpture. We took a tour with a very well informed docent, and he spared no details: the tour lasted for about an hour and a half, and it was really a highlight of the entire trip.
But the thing that really got me keyed up about my LOC visit? That would be my brand new Library of Congress Registered Reader Card! I can now use the great reading room (as seen in National Treasure 2: Book of Secrets) anytime I want, which I am already planning on doing my next time in the district. Not sure what I'll be researching, but who cares? I'll be using the same library that Congress uses! W-O-W! You just show your card, go in, ask one of the reference librarians on duty for the book(s) you want (theft has made necessary the policy of closed stacks), and then pick out an empty desk in the crazy opulent main reading room...I can't wait!
No comments:
Post a Comment