
Readers, it has long been a goal of us here at Mercy Missiles to find some sort of over-arching theme or vignette to include to our usual brand of hard-hitting posts about things like Louisville, Kentucky, libraries, baseball, food and drink, Abraham Lincoln, and other such exciting topics. So in the "spirit" of that sentiment, I present to you today our new, reoccurring and semi-regular column: the Schreck's Photo Diary!
Schreck's is by far my favorite place to shop for beer, wine and spirits in the city of Louisville. It's located on Newburg road, not far from where I attended college (Bellarmine University). It is the very place where I purchased, for myself, my first alcoholic beverage with my newly minted drivers license at the age of 21. It is the store that has the very best bargains on the craziest sounding, below-the-bottom-shelf potent potables that may or may not have been created, marketed and distributed in another dimension (ask me about the time I actually passed up the opportunity to purchase, for 99 cents, a 12 ounce plastic bottle of fluorescent orange "liqueur" called Television! and now, 9 years later, no amount of Googling will validate my claim that this stuff ever existed...). It is also the place that, no matter how frequently I shop there, seems to have a completely different selection of the absolute worst crap everytime I go in (think: black licorice flavoring, red dye #5, and high fructose corn syrup).
But also keep in mind that they have an astoundingly comprehensive and impressive selection of (very) fine bourbon and whiskey (they had a bottle of Sazerac rye whiskey from Buffalo Trace's elusive Antique Collection the other day), not to mention a very reliable and respectable chilled beer case selection (imports along with domestic micro brews--even some local ones). You can also watch a tiny flickering T.V., listen to the 20 year old radio, buy lottery tickets and novelty lighters and all the other accoutrement that you'd expect from a normal liquor store, but with the added excitement of finding something truly and remarkably outlandish and/or horrible for almost no money. All this in roughly the same amount of space as your average public restroom. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Schreck's Kentucky Liquor Store Drive-In!

You ought to do some posts on "classic Louisville" places... I'm thinking that Germantown alone could provide 50 posts (thinking Dainty Festival, Check's, Hoeck's Grocery, etc. etc.)!
ReplyDeleteha--if you'll recall we did cover the 2009 dainty world championship, and of course will do so again for 2010...but yes, i think Louisville landmark obsession is generally the direction this blog is taking...
ReplyDelete