Saturday, January 9, 2010

Virginia Celebrates 146 Uninterrupted Years of Civil War


Every year in America there are re-enactments of various battles from the Civil War. The men who participate--whether you describe them as "buffs" "enthusiasts" or "obsessive weirdos"--get pretty wrapped up in their parts, taking their roles so seriously that it would seem to drain any semblance of fun or lightheartedness from the whole enterprise. I've talked with a few re-enactors, and I can tell you that these guys are not fooling around--they make the most hardcore D & D nerds, fantasy role-playing "wizards" and Renaissance fair actors seem remarkably well-adjusted. So I can't say that I was particularly surprised to hear about an altercation at this year's re-enactment of the Battle of Stanardsville in Virginia.

According to the Richmond Times Dispatch, two "commanders" from the Confederacy and the Union "cavalries" ended up charging each other with assault resulting from an, um, unscripted battlefield scuffle. According to the report "Union commander" Joseph Ferguson knocked the hat off of his counterpart, "Confederate commander" Doug Nalls, who reciprocated by "shooting" Ferguson in the face with his historically accurate revolver. Although the gun was loaded only with blanks, it did contain gun powder, which caused Ferguson some nasty facial injuries. Both claimed their actions were accidental.

Civil War re-enactment clashes like this one are not without precedent, as you may imagine. In a 2008 re-enactment in Middletown, Virginia a 73-year-old retired policeman from New York was shot in the shoulder with a musket ball. About 20 years ago another "soldier" was also shot at a re-enactment of the Battle of Gettysburg. Oops.

All were claimed accidental. In the Stanardsville case, however, the Dispatch notes:

"Confederate re-enactors testified during the several-hour trial that the two had exchanged words before the violent encounter. According to Confederate witnesses, the Union commander used archaic slurs such as "blaggard" and "knave" to describe his Confederate counterpart. The prosecutor, Ronald L. Morris, said today that more contemporary insults were also exchanged." (!)

You see, even when these guys get pissed off, they stay in character (I am pretty curious about those "contemporary insults" though). Despite the eye-witness accounts, both charges were dropped by the judge--I guess the Stanardsville battle will end in a draw this time...but, as Ferguson said: "The feud on the battlefield goes on." I guess that's Yankee speak for "Watch yer back, Johnnie Reb."

No comments:

Post a Comment