
I swear, it always takes a sarcastic flowchart to calm me down. This weekend I've been getting a little seduced (all over again) over the newest iThing. But, seriously: can you blame me? They've finally managed to make a real working version of the Padd--that great Star Trek mainstay dating from the Next Generation, a ubiquitous Trek technology--and now I can go to a store and buy one! Of course, I can't get too carried away: if I had 500 bucks I shouldn't be spending it on some first gen device from Apple, the overly proprietary bully of the technology set.
But gosh--I've had it in my head ever since reading Marilyn Johnson's excellent This Book is Overdue! How Librarians and Cybrarians Can Save Us All that I need to be unchained from the desk, out in the stacks and in the streets doing my reference thing in a mobile capacity in order to be truly relevant. The chapter about the Minnesotan librarians (see page 105) who went into the streets to help direct protesters during the RNC in 2008, bringing their iPhones and ready reference binders to the people who needed information, was pretty inspiring. The idea of being a renegade librarian is pretty awesome--not waiting inside a building for someone to ask you a question, getting all proactive, embracing technology, networking/plotting with other subversive librarians...it's all very invigorating/intriguing.
Anyway, so how does all this relate to me salivating over an iPad? Well, you know--I could run around town with it, aggressively providing reference service to random strangers...how great would that be? On my days off I could be the Kamikaze Street Librarian; when we inevitably lose internet access at my branch I could totally save the day; I could roam the stacks and help patrons without having to run back to the computer at my desk to search our OPAC or WorldCat, search the internet for some fact or title, or whatever. Pretty exciting stuff, when you think about it (and I have been thinking about it a lot), but of course I would have to wait till later this month when Apple releases the 3G version. And shit, would I have to pay some crazy AT&T data plan bill every month on top of my usual cell phone charges? That would be pretty pricey. So, alas, for now I think I will be taking the advice of our snarky friends at BBSpot who created our helpful (and sobering) flowchart above. But just wait until the iPad gets a little competition and the price drops--the KSL (Kamikaze Street Librarian) will be realized, then no one will be safe from my maverick brand of street reference!

No comments:
Post a Comment